The Town of Carefree, Arizona is located just to the north of Scottsdale. It is a truly charming town that manages to be elegant and yet have a “wild west” feel all at the same time.
Here are some facts about Carefree and the Carefree Lifestyle its residents enjoy so much:
- Carefree was originally designed as a master-planned community in the 1950’s and was incorporated in December 1984.
- One of the major roads in town is named after one of the gentlemen who envisioned Carefree, Tom Darlington.
- Carefree encompasses 8.5 square miles.
- Carefree is home to a little over 3,000 full-time residents. This number can exceed 4,000 during the winter high season.
- A sundial was erected in the town center in 1959 and stands 35 feet tall.
- Carefree is home to the luxurious Boulders Resort which is famous for its iconic boulder outcroppings. The Boulders is also home to the Golden Door Spa, one of the top spas in the area which delights locals and visitors year-round.
- Back in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, Carefree was home to the 160 acre Southwestern Studios, a TV production and filming facility. The Dick Van Dyke show was one of the most popular shows filmed there.
- Carefree has some of the most entertaining street names in any town in the United States. You will see name like “Long Rifle,” “Tranquil Trail,” “Stagecoach Pass,” “Lazy Lane”, “Nonchalant Avenue,” “Rocking Chair Road,” “Bloody Basin” and my personal favorites “Ho” and “Hum.”
- Carefree has a charming downtown with a large number of galleries, Southwestern Art and Jewelry, specialty crafts stores and more.
- Carefree has a large number of restaurants that run the gamut in terms of styles and flavors. Have an authentic English Tea at the English Rose Tea Room. Cafe Bink is the more causal sister restaurant to one of the top area restaurants, Binkley’s, located around the corner in Cave Creek. You can also find cafes, bakeries, southwestern and Mexican food, Mediterranean food and more.
- Carefree hosts several events year-round in the town center. One of the most popular ones is the Carefree Fine Art & Wine Festival. There is also a weekly Farmer’s Market on Friday mornings.