A CAREFREE LIFESTYLE
The Town of Carefree is located just north of Scottsdale and east of Cave Creek. This charming town has a population of about 3,600 and is home to the world-renowned Boulders Resort.
Stroll down “Lazy” or “Ho” or “Hum” Streets and you will get a sense of what Tom Darlington and K.T. Palmer had in mind in the mid-1950’s when they created Carefree as a master planned community. Carefree is true to its name—a town where you can live the lifestyle you want. Spacious luxurious homes provide havens from the city life just a few miles away and townhomes, casitas and condominiums provide “lock and leave” comfort.
Downtown Carefree has remained true to its western heritage and is a hub for community events. The main street and the Historic Spanish Village are lined with shops and restaurants that serve everything from traditional cowboy eats to Mexican food to fine dining. Shop for Native American art and jewelry, tour one of the many galleries, or shop for home accessories as you stroll through the area. You will also find one of the largest sundials in North America located in the center of downtown.
There is never a lull Carefree. A seasonal farmer’s market allows the locals to show off their home-grown foods. You can attend one of the many concerts in the amphitheater or one of the entertaining art and wine festivals. Children will delight in playing in the covered splash pad area.
The Carefree Museum displays the best of Arizona history, allowing you to find out who passed this way during the heyday of the Old West. And if you are wondering if Hollywood has noticed the charm of this town, Dick Van Dyke, a longtime resident, had a studio here in the 70’s built by CBS.
Elevated at 2,500 feet and enjoying over 300 days of sunshine per year, you can almost always enjoy outdoor activities in Carefree. The temperature is usually a few degrees cooler than in the valley. Bartlett Lake and Horseshoe Lake are a short drive away and provide fishing, boating, waterskiing and other water sports. The Carefree Recreational Area is perfect for hiking and camping. Finally, you can enjoy the serenity of the mountains and natural desert landscape to the Tonto National Forest.
Arizona is famous for its world championship golf courses and Carefree is no exception. You will find clubs that offer great golfing and tennis just around the corner from your Carefree home. The Desert Forest Golf Club is home to many tournaments and is truly a golf-only club with no tennis courts or a swimming pool. This members-only club is one of the oldest in the area. Another option is The Boulders Resort and Spa with its two courses, tennis facility and world-renowned spa.
Just a short drive away is Phoenix, host to a plethora of activities. The Phoenix Suns, the Arizona Cardinals, the Diamondbacks and the Coyotes have helped to put the city on the map for major sporting events. Phoenix is also home to the symphony, ballet, live theater and major concert events.
Search Carefree Real Estate
Carefree Real Estate
Below is a selection of Carefree homes for sale:
Carefree Home Sales Data
Carefree AZ Homes For Sale – Market Update for September 2018*
|Homes for Sale||51|
|Average List Price||$1,132,972|
|Average Asking Price Per Square Foot||$287.77|
|UCB- Under Contract Taking Backups||0|
|Average List Price||N/A|
|Average Asking Price Per Square Foot||N/A|
|Average List Price||$851,550|
|Average Asking Price Per Square Foot||$293.58|
|Average Sale Price||$1,067,500|
|Average Sold Price Per Square Foot||$223.88|
|Sales Price to List Price Ratio||96.0%|
Historical Carefree Single-Family Home Sales Activity
– Q3 2018 Sales – Twenty homes sold in the third quarter. The average sales price was $834,650.
– Q2 2018 Sales – Twenty-six homes sold in the second quarter. The average sales price was $927,909.
– Q1 2018 Sales – Twenty-seven homes sold in the first quarter. The average sales price was $874,398.
– Total Carefree homes sales in 2017 were 107 and the average sales price was $857,812.
- Q4 2017 Sales – Twenty-nine homes sold in the third quarter. The average sales price was $818,168.
- Q3 2017 Sales – Eighteen homes sold in the third quarter. The average sales price was $952,500.
- Q2 2017 Sales – Thirty-seven homes sold in the second quarter. The average sales price was $870,157.
- Q1 2017 Sales – Twenty-three homes sold in the first quarter. The average sales price was $813,835.
– Total Carefree homes sales in 2016 were 88 and the average sales price was $804,883.
– Total Carefree homes sales in 2015 were 107 and the average sales price was $823,469.
– Total Carefree homes sales in 2014 were 69 and the average sales price was $918,432.
– Total Carefree home sales in 2013 were 106 and the average sales price was $768,375.
*Data for single-family resale homes. Data pulled from the Arizona Regional Multiple Listing System (ARMLS). Numbers subject to change. **Months inventory based on number of homes for sale divided by number of monthly sales.