– Scottsdale’s Newest Museum Now Open in Old Town: The Museum of the West –
On January 15, 2015, Scottsdale’s newest attraction opened to the public. It is called the Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West. It is located in the heart of Old Town, making it easy to visit either on foot as you stroll from the galleries and other cultural attractions, or by car.
The Museum of the West is not a museum that simply displays historical artifacts and educates about times gone by, Rather, it tries to showcase both the past and how the past has influenced western culture as we know and experience it today. At any given time, there will be a series of exhibitions on display as well as interactive storytelling sessions and theater performances.
The museum opened with a good number of exhibitions in place. Some of them are:
- Confluence of Cultures in the American West: A Selection of Contemporary Artists – This exhibition looks at a number of artist’s takes on the initial interactions of different cultures as the settlers moved west.
- Will James: Cowboy Artist and Author – This exhibition is a collection of the works of Will James, an artist and author who thrived in the 1920’s-1940’s.
- Inspirational Journey: The Story of Lewis & Clark – Experience the journey Lewis and Clark took via the art of Charles Fritz and other artists.
- The A.P. Hays Spirit of the West Collection – Looking for artifacts of the Old West? Be sure to visit this collection. You will see spurs, revolvers, saddles, hats and more.
Plus, there are several more exhibitions to explore.
Mark Your Calendar: On February 14th at 9:30AM, they are holding a Western Spirit Community Day. This would be a great time to come and visit.
Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the West
3830 N. Marshall Way
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Phone: (480) 686-9539
Tuesday through Saturday -9 :30AM-5:00PM
Sundays – 11:00AM-5:00PM
Extended Hours for Scottsdale Artwalk Thursdays- 9:30AM-9:00PM
Closed on Mondays