As the holiday season is getting into full swing, the number of things to do in and around Scottsdale is increasing every day. There are too many things to list, but I thought I would present a sample of some of the activities and events coming up.
- Sunset Cinema at The Montelucia Resort and Spa: November 27th, December 4th and December 11th – Locals and guests are invited to free movie screenings under the stars at the Montelucia’s Cortijo Plaza. Seasonally-themed snacks and cocoas are available for purchase. The movies on tap are Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Elf and Love Actually.
- Go Ice Skating at CityScape in Downtown Phoenix – November 25th – January 11th – Take to the ice and experience downtown Phoenix’s CityScape. The NRG ice rink will have an opening event on the 25th to coincide with the tree lighting. Santa and other treats await at the opening. $10 includes ice time and skate rentals.
- If you are a pet lover, the Holiday Pet Festival will be coming to WestWorld in Scottsdale on December 3rd.
- The Phoenix Symphony – Multiple Performances and Dates – From November 25-27, special performances of Mendelssohn’s “Italian” Symphony will be held. On December 2-4, Holiday Pops will be taking place. On December 3rd, there will be a Family Holiday Concert. And, you will not want to miss Handel’s Messiah from December 14-18.
- Las Noches de las Luminarias is coming back to the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden. On select dates in December, 8,000 hand-lit luminarias will twinkle amongst the desert landscape. Live music performances will make the night even more special.
- ZooLights at the Phoenix Zoo is back! Now through January 8th, be dazzled by 3.5 million lights and over 600 animal sculptures as they twinkle away in the night. You can also take a ride on the Polar Slide, a non-snow tube ride. On the 31st, the adults-only Zoo Year’s Eve party will be taking place as well.
- At the end of December, the Arabian Horse Farm Tour will be taking place. From the 28th through January 1st, many of the area’s top Arabian Horse Farms are opening their doors to the public.
- On the sports side of things, the Fiesta Bowl Parade and Fiesta Bowl Block Party will be taking place on December 31st. Both events are sure to be a lot of fun.
While this is only a small fraction of things to do in Scottsdale over the 2011 holiday season, I hope that you will have a chance to at least experience one of them.