– Hush Public House – Scottsdale Dining –
Let me start with a quote from my father to me…”You always find these new places and say they are getting great reviews. This place is the best we have ever been to. It really lives up to the reviews!”
A couple of weeks ago, we had the opportunity to dine at Hush Public House and WOW… Hush is a wee bit hard to find and there is not a lot of information out there, but if you get a chance to dine there, go for it.
Tucked into a strip mall just south of Kierland, you have to look hard to find the understated signage letting you know where to go. Upon entering, there is a long space with a large bar and several tables lining the opposite wall. It is not a huge space and we were so glad we called for reservations because when we got there at 6PM (in the offseason no less!) the bar was already mostly full and we sat at our table. Within 30 minutes all of the tables were full.
Hush is owned and run by two Valley restaurant veterans – Chef Dom Ruggiero and General Manager Charles Barber. The menu changes all of the time but has a very good mix of vegetable and meat dishes.
We had some fun with the menu that evening and loved every dish.
- Crab Hush Puppies – These Hush Puppies are not fooling around. They are large but not heavy-tasting and are dotted with fresh crab and corn. The corn dipping sauce is a perfect addition.
- Chicken Liver Mousse – The mousse comes in a very generous serving and is accompanied by boozy cherries and toasted bread. It is decadent and delicious and worth every bite.
- Gem Lettuce Salad – Simple, fresh, light and delicious.
- Grilled Swordfish – This was a lovely Meditteranean preparation. The swordfish was simply grilled and served with vegetables and egg slices. The fish was cooked perfectly and was accented by the herbs.
- New York Steak Frites – This is the dish that was my father’s entree and he could not stop raving about it. Slices of steak with a salsa verde accompanied with crisp fries and dipping sauce. Yum.
We thought we were done because we were so full, but my father has a sweet tooth. Our amazing server, Cara, recommended the Date Cake. It was out of this world. A cube of date cake sits in the middle of a toffee sauce and it comes with a scoop of ice cream. Heaven on a small plate!
Our visit to Hush Kitchen was fantastic and exceeded our expectations!
Hush Public House
14202 N. Scottsdale Rd., Suite 167
Scottsdale, AZ 85254