Looking for a great way to give back and support your fellow Scottsdale and Phoenix area residents? St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance is a wonderful local charity that has a number of ways for you to contribute and participate. With over 875,000 Arizonans living in poverty, St. Mary’s provides invaluable services.
St. Mary’s Food Bank is a well-known local charity and it has numerous promotions and fundraisers going on across the Valley at any time. It serves over two thirds of Arizona’s counties and in the 2009-2010 time frame., the St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance distributed 72 million pounds of food to needy Arizona residents. That translates to 275,000 meals a day.
There are several ways you can give back and help St. Mary’s with its mission:
- Monetary Donations– Monetary donations are always welcomed. And what is amazing is how far your donation will go. A mere $30 donation will provide food for 210 meals. And if you increase that to $120, you will have provided enough food for 840 meals.
- Food Drives- Partner up with friends, your company or local businesses and put together a food drive. This is a great way to collect non-perishable items to re-stock the food bank’s shelves. Click here to learn more about organizing a food drive for St. Mary’s.
- Volunteer Your Time – There are many volunteering needs all over the state. Whether it is helping implement a children’s lunch program or packing boxes in the warehouse, there are always things you can do to help. Click here for more information on volunteering at St. Mary’s Food Bank. You can volunteer individually or as a group. Here are some current volunteering options.
- Buy-a-Bird– The Buy-a-Bird program is quite popular during the holiday season. With this program, you buy an entire turkey and feed an entire family.
- Charity Charms – Charity charms are a great way to support St. Mary’s Food Bank. When you buy a charm or bracelet, 25% of all proceeds go back to St. Mary’s.
- Upcoming Events – At any time, there are events going on all over the state. One upcoming event is the Rock ‘n Box. On eight different Tuesday evenings, Valley residents can spend a couple of hours at the distribution center packing emergency food boxes. This is a really fun event and slots fill up quickly. To register, call the Volunteer Services Department at (602) 343-3128. Here is a link to the St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance Blog to stay on top of what is happening.
St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance
2831 North 31st Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Phone: (602) 242-FOOD (3663)
St. Mary’s Food Bank Alliance Website