So, while this particular charity is actually Phoenix-based, the Lost Our Home Pet Foundation has had a big impact on Scottsdale pets as well.
The Lost Our Home Pet Foundation was formed in 2008 by Jodi Polanski and others with ties to the real estate industry in response to the significant housing downturn. Unfortunately many homeowners, when they were no longer able to afford their homes and vacated them or were evicted, left their pets behind to fend for themselves in the home, in the yard or on the street.
Real estate agents and other vendors would them come to the vacant homes and find these poor pets locked inside or in the backyard, quite often without water or food. Helping these pets find forever homes was the motivation behind the creation of Lost Our Home. It was a grassroots effort to try and find solutions for these pets and it has grown substantially over the last several years.
Since 2008, they’ve had great success finding homes for thousands of pets who were displaced. Many of these pets are with new families now or are being fostered until their owners get back on their feet.
But that is not all, Lost Our Home Pet Foundation has a variety of services to help these pets and pet owners:
- Pet Adoption– These are the dogs and cats who are now in need of a new family.
- Pet Fostering – Pets can be fostered for up to 90 days while their owners get back on their financial feet.
- Pet Food Bank – Food assistance is available for pet owners with hardships.
- Assistance finding pet-friendly rentals
- Low-cost spaying, neutering and vaccinations.
- For pet owners who are in need of assistance or are thinking of giving up their pets, you can apply for help through the website.
I can’t say enough what a wonderful group this is. Recently, they just opened a new shelter, giving them the ability to do even more for pet owners and more pets in need. They have truly made an impact on the lives of many pets in Scottsdale, Phoenix and the surrounding areas.
If you would like to help, they have a wishlist posted on the home page outlining areas where they could use volunteers or donations.
Lost Our Home Pet Foundation Shelter
2323 South Hardy Drive
Tempe, AZ 85282
Phone: (602) 445-PETS (7387)